Engagement of Minors as Employees or Volunteers
Employment of Non-Georgetown Students Who Are Minors
Before a non-Georgetown student who is a minor (under the age of 18) may be hired as an employee or paid intern, the requirements of Georgetown University’s Protection of Minors Policy must be met. The Supervisor of the minor employee is required to notify the Office of Compliance and Ethics at email@example.com and provide the following information:
- the minor’s name;
- the name and net ID of the Supervisor;
- the name of the department;
- the intended employment start date (and end date, if it is a term position);
- and a brief description of the work the minor will be doing.
The Office of Compliance and Ethics will advise the Supervisor of his/her obligations under the Protection of Minors Policy.
Main Campus/Law Center/GU-Q: Detailed instructions for hiring a non-Georgetown student as an employee are available on the Human Resources web site.
Engaging Non-Georgetown Students Who Are Minors as Volunteers or Unpaid Interns
Before a non-Georgetown student who is a minor (under the age of 18) may be engaged as a volunteer or unpaid intern, the requirements of Georgetown University’s Protection of Minors Policy must be met. The Supervisor of the minor volunteer or unpaid intern is required to notify the Office of Compliance and Ethics at firstname.lastname@example.org and complete the following checklist:
Minor Volunteers and Unpaid Interns Checklist of Requirements
- Review Georgetown University Procedures for Volunteers and Unpaid Interns Who Are Minors (Under Age 18).
- Contact the Office of Compliance and Ethics (OCE) email@example.com and provide the following information:
- The minor’s name;
- The name and net ID of the Supervisor;
- The name of the department/office;
- The intended start date and end date for the engagement of the minor as a volunteer/unpaid intern;
- A brief description of what the minor will be doing during the volunteer assignment or unpaid internship.
- Provide the minor volunteer/unpaid intern with the Minor Volunteer Agreement and Consent, which is required to be submitted to you prior to the first day of the volunteer assignment or internship.
- Comply with the Protection of Minors Policy Requirements for background checks and training. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org; OCE will advise you on what needs to be done.
- Obtain a volunteer/unpaid intern badge from OCE email@example.com. The minor volunteer/unpaid intern must wear this badge at all times while they are on campus. The badge should be returned to the supervisor upon the completion of the volunteer assignment or unpaid internship. Contact OCE firstname.lastname@example.org to return the badge.
Additional requirements for minor volunteers or unpaid interns (Must be at least 15 years of age) in Research Laboratories
- Advise the department Chair and all other adults and Georgetown students who may be in the lab at the times that the minor is there;
- Obtain additional written parental/guardian consent that is specific to working in a laboratory setting and meet all other requirements imposed by the Office of Environmental Health & Safety
- Ensure that all necessary safety training is completed;
- Require use of appropriate protective equipment; and
- Ensure close supervision of the minor at all times.